I have a slight problem. It's a minor problem in the grand scheme of things, but a problem nonetheless. My issue deals with Facebook etiquette, and as far as I know Miss Manners hasn't come out with her Facebook manners edition yet.
There are a few friends I have on Facebook that I would like to 'unfriend'. I know that sounds immature and spiteful, but I'm basically just tired of seeing the status update for these particular unnamed people in my news feed. These are the type of people who update their status with some annoying nonsense every hour about how amazing they are. You know the type.
There are two people I am thinking of in particular. Both of these friends are people whom I no longer actually talk to in real life. To be honest, one of them I never really talked to in real life, he's just trying to build a facebook friend empire or something and so he friend requested me even though it's obvious we can't stand each other. So what's the problem you say? Just unfriend them! The problem with the facebook friend empire guy is that I will most likely end up in the 'People you may know' section if I unfriend him, so he will know. That shouldn’t matter because I
A: Don't even like him
B: Will most likely never see him in real life again
But I don't want to hurt his feelings. I actually doubt he has feelings, but that's another post for another time.
The other guy doesn't have that many Facebook friends, so he's more likely to notice when one goes missing. He probably wouldn't say anything, and I most likely won't see him ever again either, so I guess I should just suck it up and do the unfriending.
I feel that because both of them will be aware of the said unfriending, I should send them a friendly message beforehand stating the reason. That's what I think Miss Manners would suggest. Or at least Dear Prudie, she's a little more with the times.
Dear Friend A:
I have decided that our Facebook relationship is no longer working for me. I find you highly annoying in real life, and even more annoying when your personality shines through on the Facebook news feed. I know you value your success in life based on how many networking contacts you have, but I have decided that I can no longer be part of your Facebook Empire. Really, don't you think having 341 friends that you don't actually talk to reeks of desperation a bit?
Sincerely,
Me
Dear Friend B:
Once upon a time you and I used to care what the other was doing every minute, but that was a long time ago, and let's be honest, at this point we just don't. So I am going to have to delete you as my Facebook friend. Please don't take this personally. Or do, it doesn't really matter.
Sincerely,
Me
A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
8 months ago

2 comments:
Hahaha, I can related for sure. There are several people on my list who I want to unfriend. They are people I don't really know in real life - usually family members of people I actually know. And their status updates can be really annoying. Unfortunately, I, like your friend, am trying to build a facebook empire. So I can't afford to unfriend them (kidding!).
The facebook newsfeed is always telling me to look at pictures that upset me. One day though I just went through and unfriended all the people I don't actually know or only met once. Since I unfriended about 15 people all at once, I felt justified. And, no one's said anything. I was pissed off at one guy who I didn't actually know but served in my mission prior to me by several years. Yeah, he started harping on me about one of my notes and told me I need to "repent 100%." Needless to say, I unfriended him. I got a few messages from him saying how disappointed he was. I told him his comments were rude and unsolicited and I was no longer interested in continuing the conversation. Just do it.
Post a Comment