Friday, September 12, 2008

Dating Requirements

I was given an assigment (by someone who really has no business giving me assignments, now that I think about it), to come up with a description of what I'm looking for in a guy and post it in my blog. That's a little more personal than I ever meant for this blog to be, but seeing as how exactly two people read my blog, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I've decided to make a list and break it into three categories:
  • Non-negotiables - Traits I absolutely must have. There is little to no flexibility in this category.
  • Would really like to have - Traits I would really, really like, but don't absolutely have to have all of them.
  • Extra's - Things I don't really expect and am extremely flexible on, but would cool.

So here goes.

Non-negotiables:

  • Mormon (actively participating)
  • Taller than me by at least 5 inches (I'm practically a midget - this isn't asking too much)
  • Has to be able to deal with me and my occasional, extremely infrequent, moody demeanor. I'm pretty good at hiding this for at least a few months, so hopefully he'll be in too deep by the time he figures it out. :)
  • Have a grown up job. Part-time librarian isn't going to cut it.
  • I'm struggling with how to word this one...someone who I can talk to about anything, meaning nothing, and still consider the conversation good. Kind of like an episode of Seinfeld.
  • Must be willing to discuss problems in the relationship. Not every day, but if there is an issue I don't want to ignore it until it becomes a huge deal.

Like to Haves:

  • Older than me. Yes, you read that right. While I do have mini-crushes on the 23 year old hotties, for an actual relationship older is better. I think 30-34 is a good age.
  • Either good with money or willing to let me handle the finances without getting all 'I'm the man, I should be in charge' on me. I'm tempted to move this to Non-negotiables.
  • Likes to give me a lot of attention. There, I said it.

Extra's:

  • Dark hair and blue eyes.
  • Takes care of my car for me, meaning takes it in for maintenance, maybe cleans it once in awhile. Or at least shuts up about the fact that I'm rarely going to vacuum my car out.
  • Knows how to fix things around the house.
  • Makes more money than me.
  • Enjoys cleaning.
  • Slim to medium build.
  • Someone whose family I like.
  • Wants to live in Utah.

So what did I learn from this? I have a lot more non-negotiables than I thought I would starting out. Maybe I'm being stubborn, but I still don't think that any of them are asking too much. Now for the kicker, do I think this person really exists? I do, but he is most likely already married or he's a got a lot of options in life, but I thought that going in, so no harm done.

So be honest, am I too demanding? Knowing me and my quirks, is there anything I didn't include?

7 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

I think that your list is fine, and reasonable - especially the non-negotiables. You're not asking for too much there. As far as the like to haves, you forgot to include SUPER HOTT!!! (I'm totally kidding!) I really do think this list is totally reasonable. And yes, he exists. :) (I'm almost positive!) ;)

Elizabeth Downie said...

PS, Nice try with "enjoys cleaning!" Ha! Good luck with that one.

Christi said...

Yeah, I liked the 'enjoys cleaning' too. I'd settle for he cleans even though he hates it. Or he pays for someone else to clean. Basically any situation where I am not cleaning I would be fine with! And I just figured super hot was a given!

Monica said...

what about sports lover.....or at least baseball? what if he knows nothing about sports and has to be dragged into watching/going to a sporting even of ANY kind...eh....deal breaker!! LOL

Christi said...

You're right! I'm not going to go so far as to say 'Sports Lover.' I'll take someone who enjoys a sporting even from time to time and doesn't try to have a ten minute conversation about how much he hates baseball.

Unknown said...

You need someone who can dote on you and still give you necessary space. Isn't that a non-negotiable?

Melanie Carbine said...

Hey, everybody. My brother is super clean. And, so was my dad. That's not too much to ask! My roommate is super dirty. I had to tell him to pick up his magic cards strewn all over the living room because I was having someone over for lunch. I feel like a mom having to say stuff like that. Don't even get me started about his hair all over the bathroom.

I thought my list was long. With three musts (aka should wants) and three like to haves. But, in retrospect, my favorite comp on the mission had a 101 things list. (That the elders were taking notes on.) Only question, how do you define "active?" 100% home teaching and FHE snob or tries hard, pays part-tithing and goes to church.