The other day I read a headline that said something like, "Youth vote picks Obama to win." My first thought was that of course people my age would pick Obama to win. It makes sense that he would get the 18-35 year old demographic. Then I read the article and realized that it meant youth as in too young to vote. Oh. That hasn't been me for awhile.
A month or so ago I had a conversation with my 21-year old brother about music. It went something like this:
Me: "Have you heard the new Gavin Rossdale song?"
Him: "Who's Gavin Rossdale?"
Me: "He was in Bush!"
Him: "What's Bush?"
Me (somewhat exasperated) "He's married to Gwen Stefani."
Him: "Oh, I know who she is."
He probably doesn't realize that Gwen Stefani started out in a band called No Doubt. Why would he? That was ten years ago and he was 11.
Watching sports, it kind of hit me hard that EVERY college athlete is younger than me. I know it's obvious, but I remember just like it was yesterday that those players were adults so much futher into their lives than I was. I'm to the point where many professional athletes are also younger than me. The ones who aren't are starting to think about retirement.
So, I've started to realize I am no longer a youth. And I must admit it came as somewhat of a shock. I feel exactly the same as I did when I was 18. I have no more of a clue what I'm doing with my life. The difference is that I'm expected to have my stuff together now. Has anyone else dealt with this? What do you do when you suddenly realize you're a grown-up, and it's nothing like you imagined it would be?
A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
8 months ago

1 comment:
I hate the responsibility! It's not all it's cracked up to be. I miss having a job and mom and dad pay for the rent and food. Man I got to play a lot then!
Post a Comment