Friday, August 1, 2008

A new beginning

Today at approximately 2:40 pm, something amazing happened. I purchased my last 20 ounce Diet Mountain Dew from the vending machine. That's right, I've decided that this habit is far too expensive. I figure I put about $15 a week in that stupid vending machine just to get my Diet Mountain Dew fix. That's $60 a month! Ok, maybe I shouldn't have typed that out. I'm starting to think $60 a month isn't that much for something that brings me so much happiness! But I really do have to be strong. I've made a pretty ambitious goal of paying down all of my student loan and auto debt by my birthday, which is in March. That means cutting out all of the non-essentials.
Don't get me wrong, I'll still probably buy a 2-liter every week or so. Or possibly two. Maybe three, you know, if they are on sale. But I can quit at any time, I swear.

4 comments:

Steph said...

Tried it, didn't succeed, good luck!

Christi said...

You tried which part? Dropping the pop habit?

Elizabeth Downie said...

You should be a six pack at Target or something. MUCH cheaper than the vending machine!

Christi said...

Yes, theoretically buying a six pack at Target would be much cheaper. I've tried that though, and what happens is I just end up drinking 3 times as much. So I end up paying the same amount, but filling my body with 3 times the chemicals and caffeine. I have no self control!