Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Who's your Tiger?


If you live anywhere near the Detroit area you are probably familiar with this phrase. It's on TV commercials, billboards, flimsy cardboard signs given out at the games, it's everywhere. I've given this question a lot of thought over the last three years. Some might argue that it's not really a question that necessitates deep thinking, but I've always struggled with it. Whenever someone asks who my favorite Tiger is, I usually have to give them the list of who my favorite Tiger is NOT, as that list is much shorter. (Nefi Perez anyone?)
In the last week, this has all changed. I was watching the game last week on TV, when a friend texted me to bring my attention to the player that has just come up to bat. "This guy looks like your type." And my type he was. He was tall, had dark hair, and in that very at bat he hit a stand up triple. I immediately googled him and found out that he's 23. Perfect! I have a bad habit of liking them young :) His name is Matt Joyce, and he had just been brought up from the Triple-A team in Toledo to replace Ordonez, who is on the DL. (DL means disabled list, not down low, which I just found out means something different than what I thought it did).
All of this was fine and good, but today my admiration reached a new level. There was a story on the news about how a black kitten somehow got loose in the indoor area where the Tigers have batting practice when it is raining. They showed the kitten up in the rafters, and then they showed Matt Joyce cuddling up with the kitten with a huge smile on his face. It was, quite frankly, the cutest thing I've ever seen.
I figure the whole situation is pretty much perfect. He's cute, he plays baseball, and yet he's not that famous. That's a plus because I really don't need the paparazzi following my every move, you know? I'm going to the game tonight, where I plan on getting this whole relationship started. I'll let you know how it goes!

2 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

Dang, he really is cute and that kitten story is almost too much. I think "my Tiger" is Michael Hollimon. Super hot and he hit a triple at the game we went to a couple weeks ago. Although I basically got a crush on all the players that night. I need to get to another game asap! :) How did it go tonight?

Katherine said...

Um, yikes! He really is scrumptious. My Tiger's still Pudge, though. I heart him. ;)