I have several friends who have started blogs recently. I've often thought of starting my own blog, mainly because I like to hear myself talk, but I haven't for several reasons:
A) No one will read it
B) People will think I'm stupid (or confirm suspicions they already had).
C) I won't have anything to say, or I'll think of things to say but forget them once it's time to blog
D) This is just another passing fad, and I'll quit after three weeks just like the time I vowed to give up sugar. (I lasted 4 weeks on that one, which if you think about it is a pretty long time).
But then I figured, why not. It could be fun, and at least I can kind of pass this off as a journal, so when they give that lesson in Relief Society I don't have to feel guilty.
So the first official topic of my blog is flirting, and my inability to do it. This topic comes up because I went on a date last Saturday that, if I'm being honest, went pretty horribly. I gave a play by play of the date to my friend Ryan (if you want details too just ask, I'm happy to discuss my pathetic endeavors), and he explained to me that the reason I am such a horrible dater is because I have an inability to show interest and flirt with guys. He's quite sure that every guy who has ever gone out with me has felt like, after the date was over, that I was not interested. And I have to admit that I've gotten this feedback from the few guys who stuck around long enough to get comfortable with telling me that. So what to do?
It's not like I don't want to flirt, I just literally do not know how. Subtleties are completely lost on me. I'm the kind of person who can be totally in love with a guy friend for months and he would have no idea. Then eventually I get frustrated and blurt out something stupid like, "Because I'm in love with you, you moron!" I'm not sure, because I've never tried it, but I don't think that would go over so well on a first date.
So, any flirting tips for me? My friend Ryan thinks that I won't ever be able to change, and that I just have to stick it out until I find a guy who has enough self confidence to keep asking me out even though he can't be sure I don't hate him so...pretty sure that's not the way to go.
Anyway, suggestions are welcome!
A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
8 months ago

4 comments:
Hi! Congrats on starting a blog! (The facebook newsfeed led me to it:)) Tips on flirting....yeah, I'm old and single so I'm not sure I'm the best source. But I want to hear more about this date tomorrow at the Tigers game! Maybe we should practice flirting with guys at the game? ;)
Hilarious, I love the post! I suck at flirting. But that's one of the things that appealed to Scott, he liked that he had to break open my shell, so there is hope. But once they do break it open, you need to not hold back. Oh, what a fun game!
Glad you are blogging, I am trying to keep up on mine, too. 5 things, easy to remember cause they relate to the 5 senses. 1)Eye contact, 2)Smile in passing, 3)Laugh at his jokes, 4)get close enough to smell him, 5)touch his arm or leg while you are talking. Seriously, it'll work wonders!
My suggestion is to use the following pick up line: "If you were words on a page, you'd be what they call Fine Print!"
If that doesn't work, try:
"Date me if I’m wrong, but isn’t your name Octavious?"
A couple of others: "Do you like raisins? How about a date?"
And, "I'm sorry, were you talking to me? "No." Well then, please start."
Guaranteed to get you a date every time!! (I've got more where those came from...) ;)
Post a Comment